Did you know...
- The chinchilla was named after the Chincha people of the Andes region of the Andes Mountains in South America.
- Chinchillas are nocturnal - so be prepared for your pet to be very active at night.
- Chinchillas can NOT have fleas or ticks. Their fur is just too dense having 80-100 hairs per follicle.
New Owners Links:
- Life expectancy: 7 - 19 years
- Free choice Timothy Hay, appropriate measured amounts of Oxbow Chinchilla pellets and a tbsp-sized portion of appropriate greens such as
romaine, spring mix, dandelion greens, escarole, endive, green leaf lettuce.
- A very large enclosure (4’x4’x3’) with shelves, a wooden nest box and dry clean bedding (aspen or Care Fresh). Provide 50-60 degree temperatures optimally.
- Cost: $100 - $250
- Do not overheat. Higher than 80 degrees can be fatal.
- Health tips: Annual veterinary check-ups are needed to evaluate and optimize overall health, dental condition, diet and husbandry.
Provide daily dust baths with appropriate chinchilla dust for 10 minutes.